Friday 21 January 2011

Remembering that I am a sea-level athlete

As mentioned on previous posts, the Kenyans are masters at balancing hard training and recovery, and following the track session early on Wednesday morning, Thursday was an easy day. I went for a steady run with two of the German athletes who are staying here until Sunday until moving up to even higher altitude at Iten for 12 days. Only later did I find out that one of the German athletes I ran with was the European 10000m Champion in 2006, the quality of athletes drawn to this area to train is incredible. Most of the rest of day involved watching a video lent to me by Coach Simba which had all the major championship 1500m finals from 1924 to the end of the 20th century. For most people, this would probably be one of the most boring videos ever. But if you are hoping to make it at 1500m, it is a great insight to the tactics used by the greatest milers of all time. And a common pattern establishes itself. The best athletes always confidently put themselves in 2nd or 3rd place, on the shoulder of the leader, not letting themselves get boxed in. They respond to any moves made, until the right moment, when they make their decisive attach, and normally win. This attack can be from a variety of positions depending on the athlete and their own strengths. For anyone trying to learn the event or struggling tactically, it is a great teaching video. Thus Coach Simba had ensured that even on my rest day I was learning about the event.
Friday morning involved another interval session, for me this time 12x400m with 90 second recoveries on the straight road outside the Kip Keino High School. I was a little disappointed initially to be told to run separately from the Kenyan athletes, who were given 45 second recoveries, because of the altitude. However I soon realised that the coaches knew what they were talking about. This was the first speed session I had done with relatively short recoveries since my 8th day here, and if I had tried to do it with 45 second recoveries I just would not have been able to get the oxygen required during the recoveries. Even though I am getting used to the altitude and its training benefits will be massive, I am still naturally a sea level athlete.
On Sunday is another cross country race, and apparently this is a big one. Most of the athletes at the centre and who train with us will be competing, and it will be great to watch. The athletes are trying to persuade me to compete. If this was October-December I would be up for it. However I am sure a 12km cross country at altitude against Kenyan athletes will take me a long time to properly recover from, and as I am hoping to start my indoor season one week later, I am not sure doing the race is the most wise idea. Getting into great shape for the indoor season was one of the main aims for the trip after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment