Monday 10 January 2011

Race in Iten

On Saturday, my sports massage was arranged for the afternoon, meaning I got the opportunity to go to watch the cross country race in Iten in the morning. The standard was incredible. The numbers of athletes involved were the same as those that would be present in national championships in England, and the standard, both at the front and back, was far higher. In the senior men's race for example, there was an English athlete from Whinchester AC running. With the speed he was running at, he would easily have been in the top half in a race in England. As it was he was almost last and got lapped. Whilst at the front, the speed was sensational. They went off fast and just kept going. The Junior Men's 8km race in particular stunned me, they started off so fast and just kept going. I know I not a cross country runner, but I don't want to know where I would have finished! It was also interesting to note a number of spectators who were obviously European agents for the African athletes, checking their athletes and also probably looking for new athletes to recruit. Indeed at one point I was approached by one Kenyan coach telling me about his athletes and asking if I would be interested in managing them. I had to explain that I was an athlete, not an agent, but he did not seem convinced by my explanation.
Afterwards I received a sports massage, and it been too long since I have had one. But I am sure they were not this painful back in England. I kept getting told to relax whilst the person doing the massage had her full weight going through her elbow into my hamstring. I not sure how it possible to keep relaxed when in that pain! However my muscels felt far better afterwards, and I must take more sports massages in the future.
On Sunday got chance to do a speed session in the morning. This session is far easier and more fun in the warm temperatures compared to the freezing temperatures in England. I alos got the chance to watch the Manchester United/Liverpool game in the centre. It amazing just how global English football is. It just a pity about the result (and the rubbish decisions made by referee Howard Webb! thought I obviously not biased in this respect).
Monday was another nice early start, with a 40+ minute run starting at 6.30. As always, it started slowly, but by 10 minutes the pace was flying, and I decided to see how long I could stay at the front. I lasted till 20minutes before having to drop off, though kept within sight of the front runners, and caught up another athletes to finish 4th in the group. I know it only training, but my fitness is getting better and better, and am most excited about the upcoming indoor season. After the run was so tired I needed another sleep to recover!

No comments:

Post a Comment