Wednesday 19 January 2011

Getting used to waking up at 6am to train

Compared to Monday, training on Tuesday and Wednesday was more similar to that which you would expect in England. Tuesday involved a steady 76.30 minute run in the morning following by a recovery run in the afternoon, whilst Wednesday signalled my second track session here in Eldoret. The main difference to England is waking up at 6 in the morning for both sessions. However I have got used to it (I never thought I would say that I was used to waking up and training so early in the morning) and there is something very satisfying about having already done the main training session of the day by 8.30am. Training patterns are just different in Kenya, the number of people training as dawn rises is incredible.
I was also concerned that it would take me a few days to recover from Monday's session, but I felt like I was flying around the track. It is a great feeling when you have those days where you are going flat out and are trying as hard as possible but at the same time it all feels so effortless.
The lifestyle is ideal for athletes, if you can cope with all the time spent relaxing. You train hard during the tough sessions, but then have plenty of recovery time without having to rush about like you seem to have to do in the Western world. Recovery is regarded as part of training, and recovery doesn't just mean not training, it means totally relaxing. Writting this blog is probably the most mentally challenging thing I am doing at the moment!
I think it going to feel weird when I get back to England. It is almost starting to feel like home here in Eldoret.

No comments:

Post a Comment