Saturday 5 March 2011

Final race of Indoor season

Finished off the indoor season with a good performance, winning the 1500m in the UWIC grand prix 3 in an indoor PB of 3.46.05. Chris Discombe did a perfect job as pacemaker, leading me through 400m in 1 minute and 800m in 2minutes. Then it was down to me and I was pleased with how I held it together. Indeed I actually went through the first 5 and a half laps in the same speed as I had done in the UK Indoor Championships, but instead of blowing up in the last 200m as I did then, I held it together to run a time that would have won my heat and thus qualified me automatically for the final.
And so some final thoughts on my trip to Kenya and following indoor season. Kenya itself was an incredible experience, and I put together a fantastic month of aerobic and strength base training. However, as this is the first time I have done either an altitude trip or an indoor season based on 1500m, a mistake was made in not giving myself enough time to do anaerobic conditioning between my trip to Kenya and my main target of the indoor season, the UK Indoors. This, and tactical naivety in my heat, led to a very disappointing Championships. However I am very pleased with how I have bounced back from my disappointment, with good performance both last week in the UKA City Challenge, and today in the UWIC grand prix. It would have been very interesting to see how I would have performed in the UK Indoor Champs had I been in the shape I was in today, having had five weeks of anaerobic work rather than just two following Kenya. However this will go down as a lesson learnt, and one which will be corrected for the outdoor season.
And so it is now time to move onto my next aerobic and strength training block, before giving myself enough time to work the different anaerobic systems before the big targets for the summer. Unfortunately I will not be returning to Kenya this spring/summer (though I definitely want to in the future) but I will make sure I pick up what I learnt over there and incorporate those factors into training in the coming months.
So this wraps up my blog from my training in Kenya and the following indoor season. Thanks for all of you who have followed and read the blog. I hope you have enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment